Friday 16 November 2012

Hong Kong Fooey

Arrived off the night train after a comfy sleep and something to eat in the food car.  Forgot the address of my hostel AGAIN!! and my camera battery and computer has died..DOH!  I knew it was called the Yesinn and was in Causeway Bay.  The taxi driver was great.  He called his office and they found it.  He dropped me off and said its down there..... Thanks mate! Couldn't see it so I asked around.  Loads more people speak English here thank god.  Turned a corner and entered what looked like an office building and found it.


Dorm room
Checked in and chilled with a beer whilst looking for things to do here.  Made a list and went to reception for them to tell me how to get to the places.  The weather here was a lot lot warmer..about 27 degrees.  I looked at the forecast for the next day and it was glorious so I decided I was gonna hit the beach.  Needed so well deserved down time.  I was only here for 2 nights but my flight wasn't until 9:40pm 2 days later so I would do the other sights that day...The Big Buddha and The Peak.


That night I got talking to Dan behind reception as I had just purchased a bottle of wine and was going on the 4th floor terrace.  He said he finished soon and would join me.  A few minutes later a friend of Dan's came and found me (Morgan) and sat with me.  She was really nice.  When Dan came I'd told Morgan I was hitting the beach the next day and they decided to come with.  Dad was here teaching English and Morgan was interning at a Dolphinarium...how cool.

Morgan and Dan
The next day Dan got the meet time wrong and as I didn't yet have a new sim card he couldn't reach me.  They were already at Repulse Bay (hahaha) so I said I would meet them there.  The bus stop was right outside the hostel and I asked the driver to tell me when we got there.  A full journey into Stanley later.... I asked the driver and he hit is head and said sorry sorry and told me to sit back down and ride for free back to the beach.  This time he told me when to get off lol. The beach was gorgeous.  I couldn't believe it was only 10 minutes from the hectic city.  We chilled for the day and had curried fish balls and noodles for lunch mmm.  The beach was really strict though.  You couldn't smoke, play ball games, throw frisbee's or anything else that might annoy other beach goers!!

Repulse Bay
Curried fish balls and noodles mmm
That night I decided to head to the light and sound show looking out to Hong Kong Harbour from Kowloon.  Had to get the metro and then a ferry.  Finally got there after getting lost coming off the metro.  At least I found the bus station to take me to the Peak lol. The show was good and got some great pictures.  Headed back to the hostel and went to bed...in my 21 bed dorm.

Hong Kong Harbour

The next day I packed and checked out, storing my bags in the hostel.  I made my way to the Big Buggha - whoops I mean't Buddha haha!  I queued for about an hour! I wish the hostel told me to book online to avoid the queues.  It was a cable car upto the top.  Took about 20 mins.  A little scary but I was getting over this finally.  Was really good.  I climbed all the steps to the top and was knackered.  Kept stopping to take pictures but really it was to catch my breath!

Scary!!!
Up we go....
Taking a picture / having a rest!
Almost there...
By the time I got back down it was 3pm so decided not to risk the Peak as my flight was later.  Plus, it was really smoggy so probably wouldn't have seen much.  Headed to the airport at 6pm by bus and checked in for my flight to Phnom Penh via Singapore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment