Tuesday 26 March 2013

Manila Is Not Vanilla


Arrived in Manila after a flight from Bali to Singapore then onto the Philippines. Found out on the aircraft, in one of the magazines, that they were doing a new route from Bali to Manila direct! What a shitter. I don't half do things backwards in coming forwards ha ha.


I had arranged for my hotel to pick me up and sure enough they were waiting for me. The ride to the hotel was an adventure in itself to say the least. We hit 2 cars and I nearly ended up on the drivers lap! No seatbelts were in the minivan so I thought if I sat behind the driver he would get it first...as on that advert at home. Well, if he wasn't bothered about my safety then why should I be of his!

There were a few funny and surreal sights on the way. People were standing on a 4 lane carriageway waiting for buses. No bus stops and 5 lanes were into 4....crazy! There was a security guard riding a tricycle around the city selling non other than....ice creams hahaha! I also saw a sign advertising for staff for a new bar. Here is a mock up of what it said.....

**NEW BAR OPENING**
Staff Wanted....
* Manager  * Bar staff  * Models
* Good Looking Girls

(Blunt and to the point I suppose haha!)

I had been looking into doing a trip to Villa Escudero which is 2-3 hours south from the city and had an amazing restaurant in a waterfall. My mate Louise sent me a photo a few months back and it looked really good. After researching how to get there there were 2 options....get a private car for £60 or get the bus for £3. I wasn't going to pay that for a car so I was set on getting the bus.
A lot of these local buses have 'How's My Driving' on the back with a telephone number haha!!!!
I arranged with the transportation desk to take me to the bus stop the following day. That night, I couldn't rest. I was really nervous about doing this trip and this time, over-thinking things were a good thing. For instance, was I really going to do a 6 hour round trip just to see this restaurant?, what would I do when I got back to the bus station in Manila at dusk? And what if they ripped me off in a taxi and I didn't have enough money to pay?

The Waterfall Restaurant at Villa Escudero
At first I thought I was losing my nerve but I called down to reception and cancelled my car in the morning and checked online about the safety of Manila. Oh how right I was to cancel it! Being a westerner in Manila means you walk around with a £ sign on your head, let alone a single female westerner travelling by herself. Attacks and muggings are rife and not only with foreigners and gun laws are very very relaxed. Ruth had told me in the past about how unsafe Manila was and now being here alone I completely understood.

These nifty little things drive you around Manila. Probably held together  with sticky tape lol
So, the next day I just had a lie in and went down to the hotel restaurant for lunch. I was running out of cigarettes and asked reception if someone could go and buy some for me as I was afraid of going out on my own. She asked if I was alone and when I answered she immediately agreed to send the security guard for some for me, even though it was not hotel policy to do so. Just shows how bad it is eh?


So, here I am sat having lunch and planning on watching Law & Order in my empty dorm room for the rest of the day. I leave for Bacolod tomorrow to meet up with Leila. Quite excited!!

* Obviously all this pics are from online...since i've not been out lol. Well its boring without pictures haha x

No comments:

Post a Comment