Wednesday 3 October 2012

Culture shock... or just plain rude?

Do not read this blog if you have a sensitive stomach lol.......

It appears that in China you can do things that you wouldn't at home.  For example, hocking a great big loogie (thats spit with snot for you none Oldhamers) onto the floor right in front of you would appear normal.  I have yet to come across a day, no wait, an hour without hearing or seeing the horrid thing.  Its not shit on the pavement you have to look out for but a big peace of phlegm expelled from some disgusting person......YUK!!!!

Next on the list is blowing your nose without a tissue.  Yep you guessed it....holding one side of your nostril and blowing the other side straight onto the floor....again in your presence. What is wrong with these people!?

What else.....oh yes.  When eating outside at a restaurat/cafe it seems customary to spit bits of your food onto....yes...the bleein floor!  Not remove it from your mouth and place it in a napkin, oh no, lets spit it right next to that foreigner who has never been to the country before.  Lets give her a great impression of us.

Also, its a given that the Chinese will stare at you for being a westener without a welcoming smile BUT fellow travellers come on!!!! We have something in common even if it is just that we are from the same part of the world.  Ignorant bastards!  All I want is a teeny little movement of your lips resembling a smile.  Its the language of the world don't you know.

Oh and to top it off today, a little chinese man (is there any other kind lol) waved at me today, and greeted me by moving his hands around his stomach to tell me I was fat.  But you know what he said hello and he smiled at me, a strange foreign westener and it kind of didn't bother me because of that :)

Don't worry this is not a winge, I just thought I would share a bit of Chinese culture with you that I have witnessed over the last 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment